Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Getting to know you...

"Getting to know you, getting to know all about you, getting to like you, hoping that you like me."


I hope you are singing now...

These words, made famous in the musical "The King and I", tell the story of the formation of an unlikely friendship between the King of Siam and his British governess. This is one of my favorite musicals, probably because it is set in Thailand, but also because of the hilarity that comes when cultures clash.  The most refreshing aspect of this film is that people from vastly different backgrounds can come to understand one another and ultimately have a wonderful friendship. 

I love learning about different cultures and the challenge that comes along with that.  What I find more often than not is that we are all much more similar than appears at first glance.  I guess that's because we all have the same creator.

While itinerating, I have the privilege of interacting with people from my own culture, yet sometimes we are vastly different.  Many cannot relate to my having lived in another country for most of my life, while its difficult for me to understand that someone has never moved from their hometown. I don't speak like a southerner any more, but it doesn't mean we can't communicate.  As we interact together, we begin to learn about one another, accept our differences, and understand that God has placed us all on the planet for the purpose of working together. Unity.  The body. We all have different purposes & plans for our lives, but if we are serving God and fulfilling His will for our lives in the place where He has us, we can be unified, we can understand, and best of all, we can be friends.

I'm liking you better and better every day. Here's hoping that you like me too!


Now I'm off to make some more friends....

No comments:

Post a Comment